Yeast infections are one of the most commonly occurring conditions in women. It is found that 75% of women experience a yeast infection at least once in their lifetime. The vagina has a healthy balance of yeast and bacteria. The bacteria known as Lactobacilli grows with the help of the hormone called Estrogen. This bacterium keeps the vagina clean of harmful organisms. But, when this balance is tempered by any given reason, a fungus called Candida then may grow without any control and give birth to a yeast infection.
There can be many reasons why women catch a yeast infection. Let’s look at some –
- Diabetes – Women with Diabetes are much likely to be catching a yeast infection easily because, when the mucus membrane in their vagina gets an increased amount of sugar in them, they create a place for the yeast to grow.
- Antibiotics – If you are on any sort of antibiotic, those drugs may kill off the good bacteria present in the vagina and lead to a yeast infection.
- Hormonal changes – When you take any sort of birth control pills, or are going through menopause, pregnancy or breastfeeding your newborn, the changes in your hormones can tamper with the balance in your vagina which then gives birth to a yeast infection.
- Sex – A yeast infection is not one of the sexually transmitted diseases but can still be passed from one person to another.
What are the symptoms of a Yeast Infection?
- Vaginal Itching – This is one of the most common symptoms of a yeast infection. When you feel a constant itching in your vagina that is hard to withstand and stays for more than a day, it may be because you have caught a yeast infection and should pay a visit to your gynecologist.
- Painful urination or sex – When you have a yeast infection, you are likely to be experiencing pain or discomfort during intercourse and urination. You might even feel it difficult to pass urine along with a burning sensation.
- Redness and Swelling in the vagina – You will observe an unusual redness and swelling in the vagina in cases of a yeast infection. If it persists, we recommend you visit a gynecologist and get it examined.
How can you treat it at home:
- Natural Yogurt – Non-flavoured, unsweetened and natural yogurt can do wonders to a yeast infection. You can eat it, apply to and around the vagina or insert it inside for some relief.
- Coconut Oil – Fresh and 100% organic coconut oil is recommended in this case. Coconut oil has antifungal properties and hence can ease any such discomfort. It can be applied both internally and externally.
If you do not feel any improvement in your condition after the home remedies, you should definitely give it medical attention at the earliest.