Dizziness brings with it feelings of lightheadedness, unsteadiness and a false sense of motion. Sometimes the feeling of dizziness can persist for a longer time or can vanish within a few minutes. Health conditions such as fainting, irregular heartbeat, headaches, vision loss, etc. are clear indications of a person experiencing dizziness. These sensations start occurring in the female bodies before and during the periods majorly due to the hormones.
When the PMS stage is approaching, there are changes in the body because of the production of estrogen and progesterone hormones which lead to conditions like headaches, nausea and dizziness. The release of progesterone leads to constriction of blood vessels which can further lead to a temporary decrease in the blood flow to the brain –making one feel lightheaded.
Girls experience a false sense of motion with the onset of menstruation because of the fluctuations in hormones. The estrogen and progesterone levels drop down with the start of periods which cause an effect on the circulation, neurotransmitters, blood vessels and the blood pressure — leading to a feeling of fainting. Heavy periods are one cause of feeling dizzy because excessive blood loss can bring temporary changes in the blood pressure. Certain women face the condition of being anaemia because of heavy periods which affects the oxygen saturation of the blood going to the brain ultimately increasing the chances of feeling dizzy. Another reason for feeling lightheaded could be severe cramps which occur before and during periods.
Solutions for treating Dizziness:
- Dehydration makes the blood pressure low and thus girls and women should ensure they drink plenty of water and other fluids to maintain normal blood pressure and avoid dizziness.
- Flickering blood sugar levels in the body leads to lightheadedness and dizziness. When the blood pressure shoots down suddenly, the chances of suffering from dizziness increases. Binging on sweets before and during the periods is natural because of the change in our hormones but it can affect the blood sugar levels as well. To stabilise, girls and women should eat wholesome diet throughout the day and should avoid eating refined sugar. Including protein in the diet for strength is necessary.
- Including iron in the diet is important in order to cope up with the situation of excessive blood loss in the body. Eating foods which are a good source of iron like fish, meat, green vegetables, quinoa, tofu, broccoli, and so on is important to meet the body requirement and cope up with the situation of anaemia.
- Choosing to eat a multivitamin before and during the periods helps in controlling the symptoms of dizziness because of the supply of vitamins like vitamin B12, vitamin B6, vitamin C and iron.
- Drinking ginger tea and menthol tea helps in treating dizziness and period cramps which occur during and before periods.
- Breathing techniques are known to control the symptoms of dizziness. Practising breathing techniques reduces the amount of pain in the body thereby preventing the chances of feeling dizzy. It also helps in dealing with anxiety and mood swings. Breathing techniques are also known to improve the quality of blood by increasing oxygen and removing Co2.
Apart from the above-mentioned techniques, girls and women should avoid skipping meals during and before the periods in order to avoid weakness, headaches, nausea and dizziness. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables and a diet rich in vitamins and minerals for the feelings of dizziness to subside.