The cramps are hitting you like stabbing knives (ouch is just an understatement!). Heavy bleeding and painful cramps can be big blow to your body and leave you feeling weak during your periods. Add to that the irritability you feel throughout the time (ugh!!).
We are always in search of answers for how to improve your experience during periods and how you can make the best of the situation. So we did some digging around the internet for you. First and foremost, nutrition solves a lot of problems the body goes through. But the right nutrition makes all the difference between you feeling alright and you feeling your absolute best.
So here goes our list of comfort foods that you should definitely include in your diet during your periods.
- Dark Chocolate: Eating a small amount of high-quality chocolate (typically that which has 65% or more “cocoa”) may actually help alleviate cramps and PMS. Why? Chocolate contains magnesium, which can help alleviate cramps and increase energy. It also contains endorphins, or “happy hormones,” which can help improve your mood. So the next time you have cravings you know that dark chocolate is your crave-killer.
- Peanut Butter: Oh Yum! Peanut butter is yum and it’s high in Vitamin E. Your sweet cravings can be replaced with peanut butter. Peanut butter contains healthy amounts of proteins, healthy fat and
fiberthat helps you stay fuller.
- Spinach And Kale: Dark greens and general green leafy veggies are
so goodfor your body. Spinach and Kale leaves contain a lot of iron which helps in replenishing lost blood. You can even try kale smoothies. Kale contains calcium so you know, strong bones; strong you! You can even add some broccoli into the mix to crunch it up a bit!
- Bananas, Kiwis and Pineapples– Always keep bananas handy
at home. Always! They are rich in Vitamin B6 and potassium which help in relieving bloating and cramps .Pineappleshave enzymes that fight inflammationand kiwis are fibrous that help you digest proteins. Together they are the triple threat team to fight period pains.
- Eggs (Just the way you like them!)– Eggs are great as breakfast options. They are high in proteins and have Vitamin B6, D and E which help fight of PMS symptoms.
- Low Fat Yogurt: Yogurt is a healthy source of calcium. It
soothes tummytroubles during your periods and makes you feel cooler.
- Tea: A cup of tea soothes your mind no matter what mood you’re in. Try some green tea or even chamomile and it can help you relax.
- Water: Last but not
the least, drink lots and lots of water. Water helps in reducing bloating so down as much as you can during the day.
Besides these you can also try out fatty fish and red meat if possible. They have the right amounts of proteins that your body needs. So there you have it. Try them out and let us know if they are making a difference.